Friday, March 9, 2012

DAY 50 - 1st Birthday


I thought I’d write a blog post so no one forgets me J  Shawna has done a wonderful job of keeping things updated and driving the 50 days of prayer for Seton.  I, on the other hand, have fallen down on the job a bit as I cling to the merry-go-round of life, spinning faster and faster.
As I reflect on our life and journey over the past year, I am flooded with memories and emotion.  From Shawna and I standing in our living room sobbing after learning for the first time what we were about to face, to preparing the celebration for Seton’s first birthday party, we’ve experienced more of life than I ever thought possible.  I am overwhelmed.
So many instances, both good and bad, have shaped my heart, my personality, my existence.  These are some moments I want to share…and never forget:

Devastation of thinking life could end before it starts

Realizing every thought of control I had was a farce

Witnessing the miracle of birth and the look on my wife’s face as she saw our son for the first time

The overwhelming power of family, friends, and community

Inexpressible pain and fear as I woke so many mornings

Unmerited Grace and Mercy

Unconditional love

Cherishing moments holding my son, fiercely praying those opportunities wouldn’t cease

Bringing him home to live when we had been told he’d surely die

A new understanding of Mother’s Day and Father’s Day

Cooing

Graveyard nursery shifts

Family vacation at Dairy Queen and a nursing home

Knowing the best food at the hospital (and the names of most of the staff)

The firsts of Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas

Hanging out on the couch watching TV

Pictures, pictures, and more pictures – I don’t say cheese

The baby mullet that mom wants us to cut

The perfect symphony of simultaneously shooting snot-rockets from both nostrils while destroying a diaper

And to that effect, how much poop a baby makes (seriously - it’s just milk)

I could continue, but I won’t prolong this for you.

We still long for “normal” milestones of life like smiling, crawling, and playing, but our hope is securely 
placed, and we will persevere.  So much progress has been made, and there’s so much more to come.
I can’t say too much that I haven’t said before, but some things bear repeating.  We’re blessed.  We’re humbled.  We’re amazed.

Our family and friends tell us we have a testimony.  I’m not sure what to think about that, but I feel like we’re a privileged part of a living example of our God at work.  If anyone else sees it too, praise God.
Thank you for walking with us, thank you for praying for us, and thank you for loving us.
Attitude out of the gate
My monkey man today

Today's prayer request is for Seton's future and our future as a family. We look forward to many more years and birthdays to celebrate with our boy. He is such a joy and a blessing to us each and every day. 


- Zane
Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever – Psalm 107:1

5 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, as always. I love to read about Seton. We are praising God with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praising the Lord for you all today and your perserverance in God who can do anything..I would like to post a link to a birhday song I found that Seton might like to watch on the screen. Hopefully just enough stimulation to keep his focus. I will continue to follow your blog as I feel you are a part of my family now.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN58_sk9j1k


    Thank You Lord for Seton's Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you much Oliver family! My family has been so very blessed reading your posts and seeing you leave it all at the foot of the cross each and every day. Happy Birthday to sweet Seton! Thank you for sharing your lives with us through this blog. I will continue each day to pray for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zane and Shawna -- I don't know you personally, but a mutual friend posted about Seton long ago -- when you were first beginning down this road -- and I have been following your story ever since.

    Thank you for being willing to share your journey. You have people praying for you from all over the world -- I'm from Oregon. And not a day goes by that I don't say a prayer for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would love to hear how things are going for you all and Seton. Still lifting him up in prayer. Have a wonderful Easter.

    ReplyDelete